Indiana Car Insurance
Using our comparison tool above, many driver will be able to find cheaper car insurance in Indiana. Studies have shown that the longer a driver has remained with the same carrier, the more likely it is that they will find lower rates through getting new quotes. By entering your zip code, you will be given a list of some of the top insurance offers in Indiana along. Simply pick a few that appeal to you and submit basic information about yourself and your vehicles for an instant rate quote.
How Much Insurance Do You Need?
Like most states, Indiana has mandatory insurance laws that require drivers to maintain a basic amount of liability insurance (coverage that will pay others for damage or injuries that you cause). Here's a breakdown of what's required:
- Bodily Injury Liability - Residents must have $25,000 of coverage per person and $50,000 of coverage per accident. This means that the most your insurer will pay is $25,000 to any one injured person and will not pay more than $50,000 no matter how many people are injured.
- Property Damage Liability - Indiana drivers must have a minimum of $10,000 in coverage for the property of another person.
Other Coverage Available
Obviously having the bare minimum coverage is the cheapest option, but it leaves out some very common coverage that could prove useful. A 'full coverage' policy would also include the following:
- Collision - This covers damage suffered to your car on account of an accident and the cost of reasonable repairs to fix it.
- Comprehensive - This provides coverage for damage or loss to your car from things other than an accident. Hail, theft, fire or striking an animal are common examples.
- Uninsured/Underinsured Coverage - This is covers you in the event that you are injured by a driver with either no insurance, or less insurance than the amount of your coverage. Taking the underinsurance as an example, if you carry $100,000 of underinsurance and another person causes $90,000 of injuries to you but only has $25,000 of insurance, your underinsurance coverage would compensate you for the $65,000 different.
How Expensive Is Insurance In Indiana?
Compared to other states, car insurance is fairly cheap in Indiana. In most surveys we have seen over the past several years, Indiana generally ranks in the bottom quarter of all states on rate affordability. This is primarily due to the fact that the State has a fairly rural population, a lower than average crime rate and favorable tort liability laws. It's impossible to make a fair estimate of what rates will be for any single person without getting a quote for your unique circumstances, but when thousands of quotes are compared across all states, Indiana fares very well in any such analysis.
Strategy For Finding Low Rates
Our preferred strategy for finding low rates involves about an hour of total time investment, but should result in substantial savings in most instances. First, get a few online quotes using our tool at the top of this page directly from one or two companies. While quite often a direct insurer might prove to have the lowest overall rates, many consumers will prefer the service a local Indiana agent could provide in the event of a problem or loss. Total time: 20 mins.
Armed with the rate you received online, call one or two 'captive' agents that represent one of the major insurers such as State Farm, Allstate, American Family or Farmer's Insurance. This will give you an idea of how much of a premium - if any - you will pay for dedicated agent service. If you prefer, you can get rates directly from the company websites, although an agent might be able to find a few discounts you might not otherwise think of. Total time: 15 mins by phone.
Finally, look for an independent agent in your area. These are agents that often represent multiple companies and can direct you to the best option for your circumstances. Examples of companies independent agents often represent in Indiana include Progressive and Cincinnati Insurance. Total time: 15 mins.
Having completed all of the above steps in roughly 45-50 minutes, there's little question that you are on track to finding the best possible car insurance rate for your circumstances.
Bonus Tip: If you or a family member are an active or retired member of the military, get a rate from USAA, which typically has the lowest rates you will find anywhere.
More Information; Visit the Indiana Department of Insurance site, or call them at (317) 232-2385